Naming + brand identity process for evervibe cannabis.
We started with an exhaustive brand sprint, that is composed of exercises that are geared for our creative team to learn everything we will need for an ongoing relationship with the client. We learn audiences, values, goals, why/how/what, positioning + competitors, and compile them in on concise document.
We exhaust synonyms of values discovered in the brand sprint, dive into history + origin stories, and come up with abstractions of words. Relying on mind-mapping for naming allows for us to always tie names back to their reasoning + origin. This allows us to visually show our line of thinking. Then we need to check the name's availability.
Once we have picked a name, we begin exploring art directions. This is also guided by the brand sprint. Once a moodboard is finalized, they become our north star while creating anything visual. From a visual standpoint, our moodboard is just as important as the brand sprint. Moodboards can determine colors, typefaces, photography direction, and more. It is important to create a moodboard that is open to interpretation, but also specific enough to create a cohesive brand.
Once we have a finalized moodboard as our north star, we begin creating logo concepts. We are always finding inspiration from the moodboard, and also testing anything we create directly against the moodboard to make sure it relates back to our art direction.
Fine tuning the concept
After a few rounds of logo exploration, we have usually honed in on a concept that we can begin to fine tune. Now we begin to find to find some solid geometry, semantics, and reasoning behind the logo. Since the logo began with a capitol "E" mimicking the shape of an "E" mirrored the initial solution was to go with an all caps treatment. After exploring typeface weights, the all-caps treatments felt less approachable so we went with a lower case option.
Some Custom Letters
We decided on a typeface, weight, and scale but the original lowercase "r" was bothersome to me. I couldn't get it to kern correctly. So I explored a custom "r" that mimicked the logo.
The final outcome was an extremely scalable logo that captured the gut feeling the company was looking for. The logo felt geometric yet uniquely organic, balanced but at the same time off balance, or hand-made but machined.